Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thankful

The Spaghetti Dinner last Saturday was incredible…that is the best way to describe it. Everyone who was involved worked really hard and put everything together. It was amazing. The food was so good, the auction had some really fun things in it, my ballet students did a surprise dance for me, and when I walked in the door everyone was wearing “Lungs for Rachel Slick” shirts that had been designed and screen printed by friends. Jonathan’s band played for the first time since the spring. More than 300 people came out…and the financial support that was raised was just unbelievable. I wish I could say how much that meant to see everyone and to know all the hard work and sacrifice that went into making that dinner happen…I just can’t find the words.

Sunday was Mary’s surprise bridal shower! We thought for sure that she had figured it out…but when she came in the door we realize that she hadn’t! Peter was able to fly in 2 days early to be there as another surprise, so that was really fun! Our dear friend Dana opened up her home and planned all the food and took care of so many shower things. It was a huge help and the shower turned out really well!

On Tuesday we headed to Hopkins again for a 2 hour long meeting with a lady from the transplant team to talk about post-transplant care. Wow. I’ve been in more enjoyable, happy meetings before. It sounds like things are going to be pretty rough during that first year. We all came out of the meeting and were just kind of quiet for a while. Too much to think about. It isn’t really fair to sit a family down and tell them in the span of 2 hours all the hundreds of things that are going to change over the course of the year. Our plan is to take things one day at a time. Today’s our job is to keep going with “normal” life and wait. When the day comes that the job is to drive to Hopkins and get a transplant, that is what we will do. And in the days after that when the job is to take care of my new lungs, that is what we will do. I can do all things (even get a lung transplant) through Christ who strengthens me.

Thanksgiving was a wonderful day! Jonathan, his sister Bethany, and my Dad all ran in the 5K Turkey Trot at the community college. Jonathan beat his personal record and I am SO proud of him!!! We had lunch at the Slick’s house then went to my family’s house for dinner. So much delicious food! After dinner we came home and set up our Christmas tree! I won’t be able to have live plants in the house after the transplant so we decided to go a head and buy a fake tree this year. I thought I’d be disappointed with a fake one, but it really looks lovely! I put up all our other Christmas decorations (Jonathan lets me decorate however I want to and I love it!!!) and we watched the Rockettes Christmas thing! Our first married thanksgiving was better than I could have asked for! What an incredible day.

Here are some pictures for ya...
Roma Renegade playing at the Spaghetti Dinner!

Our tree...fresh out of the box! 
After we did some unfolding...

Our lovely tree!

- Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Rachel! The gals at Home and School told me you had a blog and to check it out and... WOW! So much I've missed! I'm so happy for you getting married and everything! I'll add the lung transplant to my list! Take care and I'll keep checking back in! :) Heather

    ReplyDelete