Friday, November 12, 2010

410

As I expected, being put on the transplant list has shaken things up a little for us. I told Jonathan the other day that I was getting comfortable again. I had prepared myself as much as possible for being listed and then we were just waiting for it to happen. I was able to get back into my regular work, cleaning, artwork, helping with Mary’s wedding…those types of normal things. All it will take is that one call…and all those things, my “normal” life will be on hold. God is taking me to yet another level of appreciation for normal things…every time I do the dishes I soak it in and enjoy it…sounds silly, I know. But even this state of normalness is going to be over. And I don’t know when. I’m sorry to sound ridiculous and I really don’t mean to sound sorry for myself. Please forgive me if I do…just sharing what I’ve been feeling the past few days. I am also very excited. Jonathan and I are making a list of all the things we want to do when I am better…the very first one is RUN!!!

After the incident in the middle of the night with Jonathan’s phone, I really tried to settle myself and not freak out every time I hear a phone! Well, we had another scare! On Wednesday night we were driving over to my parent’s house around 7. My phone started ringing and when I pulled it out of my pocket I saw it was a 410 number…and 410 is the Baltimore area code. I told Jonathan what it said and answered the phone. After a few seconds I realized that it was a recorded message reminding me of my upcoming appointments on Tuesday. I told Jonathan what it was and I just burst into tears. I was so angry. It is not fair to call a girl on the transplant list from an unknown Baltimore number at 7 at night to give her a stupid reminder!!! Sheesh!!! I was so upset that Jonathan pulled over and we just sat there for a minute while I tried to start breathing again. My goodness. What an adventure this is starting out to be!

- Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Not silly at all Rachel...the "new normal" takes a great deal of adjustment, I'm sure. Glad you are taking the time to treasure each moment for what it is...praying for you.

    ReplyDelete