Monday, December 6, 2010

I Got 2nd!

This past Saturday was the stair climbing race that I've been getting ready for for over 3 months now. The event was put on by the Western PA CFF chapter and was held in the Gulf Tower in Pittsburgh, PA. Rachel and I drove up Friday evening and stopped in New Stanton, PA to spend the night. The next morning she did her therapy vest and inhaled medicines, then we left. We were talking about how awesome it is going to be when we get to go on vacation and not have to pack the vest and nebulizer with us, or do therapy first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
We got to Pittsburgh with no problems and headed into the Gulf Tower. We were greeted by the directors of the CFF chapter and warned about 3 other CF patients that were there, so we could all keep our space and prevent things getting passed between them. I had no idea how sort of popular our story was with the group until everyone kept coming up and saying "Oh you must be Jonny and Rachel!" haha. The "Lungs for Rachel Slick" shirt I was wearing probably helped.
After registering, I decided to warm up by walking up the staircase. Along the way, I met a nurse named Peggy on the 19th floor. We got to talking and she told me that she had met Rachel downstairs and then wrote a $50 donation check to the CFF in Rach's honor! It was pretty awesome. The support I received for doing this fundraiser was incredible. My friends (both old and new) and family donated almost $1500 to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and the event brought in over $10,000!
The actual race was 38 floors up (722 stairs) in a pretty dusty stairwell. I did the course in 5:03, just 2 seconds behind the winner! I was honestly a little disappointed after training so hard for this, but I couldn't have lost to a more formidable racer. He is a hardcore mountain biker who's used to steep hill climbs and grueling courses...better yet, he has cystic fibrosis. I am amazed at this guy's athleticism and strength in overcoming CF in this way. I had to stop twice during the course to catch my breath, and could hear myself wheezing as I approached the finish. It was probably close to the furthest I've ever pushed myself physically for that period of time. The winner and I averaged around 7.9 seconds per floor and finished over 45 seconds before the next racers.
After the race there was a "survivors party"/awards ceremony. After talking with a few of the people we met, Rachel and I packed up and headed out on our 3 1/2 hour drive home to Hagerstown. The entire race and ride home I was thinking about Rachel. I was struggling to breathe for 5 measly minutes, not 23 years. I admire her strength so much, and I know she makes me stronger.

Thank you to everyone at the Western PA CFF chapter for putting the race on. I can't wait to do it next year...in under 5 minutes. Thanks also to everyone who donated! You all were a great encouragement to me and Rachel both. And thanks to Rachel. She didn't mind me coming home drenched after training in that hotel stairwell, she put up with my incessant talk about stair climbing, she supported me the entire way, and she always calls me her winner in everything. I love you, babe.

- Jonny

3 comments:

  1. Your posts always put a smile on my face. Nice way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Johnny! I check back in here every chance I can, and I hope all is going well :-) Miss our classes together! Next time, it better be a first though :-p

    ReplyDelete