Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Oh, Teeth...

I don't know why I thought getting dental clearance would be easy…there really hasn’t been any step in the evaluation process that has been simple. With everything there has been long waits, miscommunications, frustrating people, and so on. I don’t mean to complain. That is just how it is. But for some reason I really did expect to simply go to the dentist and have them say “Yep, you are good to go!” But that isn’t exactly what happened.

I went to my dentist appointment on Monday and even though the hygienist said I do a perfect job brushing and flossing, I had a few cavities and a few places that had potential for cavities. She said that antibiotics kill both the good and bad bacteria…and I have certainly been on enough antibiotics to do that. The dentist also said that I need to have my wisdom teeth out…all 4 of them. He said that 2 of them are impacted and so he couldn’t take them out. He referred me to a local oral surgeon and thankfully I was able to get an appointment.

I was able to get all my fillings taken care of yesterday which I am very thankful for. My whole mouth was numb all day, but Mom came to the rescue with a chocolate milkshake since I couldn’t even chew! Later we went to meet with the oral surgeon. He looked at my x-rays and agreed that my wisdom teeth need to come out before the transplant. He said that there is just too much of a chance that they could bring infection and big problems in the future if I don’t get them out. Because I am so complicated with all my meds and steroids, he is contacting my doctors and the transplant team to make sure that he is the right surgeon and that his office is the right place for me. Hopefully we will hear from him next week.

We were so excited because this would have been our first week in the past 2 months that we wouldn’t have to take a trip to Hopkins. But now we do have to go down. I called my CF nurses and talked to them this afternoon. I’ve been coughing a little more and have been getting short of breath again. Normally I would wait another week or so until I really start feeling bad before I call…but I don’t want to feel the way I felt last time I was in the hospital. That was not good. They were very happy that I did call and they asked if I could come down tomorrow just to make sure my PFT’s haven’t dropped too much. The doctor I’m going to see is not Dr. Boyle…he is another great doctor on the CF team and he wears a bow tie so you know he is good : ) I’ll let you know how the appointment goes tomorrow.

In other news, Jonathan is learning the guitar! I am so amazed at how talented the Slick kids are…all of them! One day Jonathan said to me “I want to learn the guitar” so he borrowed one from my dad and learned it! That was just a few weeks ago and now he is playing all these songs! He also wrote a song for me! He called it “35” because my blood sugar got very, extremely, scarely (Yeah, I don’t think that is really a word…) low. I just love to hear him play.

And here is a little verse that I love…
“I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.”
Jeremiah 31:3

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment