Monday, March 28, 2011

Sunday and Monday at Hopkins : )

I am so thankful for such a quiet day yesterday. Only a few doctors and no tests other than blood work! After 3 diet changes, I could finally relax a little on what I was eating. I had to really watch how much potassium, phosphorous, and sodium I was taking in. All of those levels had been pretty high. But Mom and I decided to take a break from the hospital tray and have a little Sunday morning breakfast date down stairs. We got some egg, sausage, and cheese biscuits (cheating  just a little on what I was supposed to be avoiding) and ate those yummy things. Daddy came down and the three of us enjoyed some time walking the halls and watching TV.

I couldn’t eat after midnight because we weren’t sure if I was going to have a bronchoscopy today. It had been scheduled a few weeks ago before we knew I would be in the hospital. Thankfully, my doctors said it was still a go! It was so good to be able to do it while I’m here and not have to make a special trip for it. I always have such a hard time when I don’t get to eat. I was so glad it was scheduled for 10 in the morning and not some time in the afternoon! Instead of just sliding a tube down my throat (I am completely asleep for this) and taking a look with a little camera, they were also going to use saline to flush out any secretions that might be there, as well as take a biopsy of my lungs to make sure they are doing well. They told me to expect to be uncomfortable for a while after…lots of coughing, sore throat, sleepiness, nausea. I felt all of those symptoms, but just a tiny bit! It really wasn’t bad at all! Within 2 hours we were down in the cafeteria and I was eating cheese fries (cheating again…oops!) a salad, and of course, Mountain Dew. My doctors came in later and said that everything looked very normal for 1 month out and that we would have some results in the next 24-48 hours. Another great thing is that my lungs feel even clearer than they did before! I walked 40 minutes again today! Thank you, God…this is really, truly, great.

Jonathan just left a little while ago. He came here straight from work. I can’t wait to be home and be able to really be his wife again. For so many weeks I haven’t been able to do even the small things that help him out…chopping veggies, putting clothes away, cooking dinner…all the things that I have mentioned before that I love to do. It is so exciting to think about getting back into the swing of things…and then I remember that it will be even better than before! I have new lungs! When I vacuum I will be able to breathe at the same time! When we get groceries, I’ll be able to help bring them upstairs! I’ll have more energy to make dinner and bake and try out new recipes! I know I still have weeks of recovery to go, but God is getting me so excited for the gifts that I just know He will bring me! And until those great days ahead, we’ll just keep pushing on…

For nothing will be impossible with God. Luke 1:37

- Rachel

Chicken, Quinoa, and Kale...can't wait to get cooking again!



Tilapia, Pasta, Sauce, and Broccoli...
Jonny always makes the pasta sauce and it is delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Rachel,you encourage me so much. I can't express to you how precious your words are when I read them. Your faith just shines right through everything you write....what a blessing you are.
    Love
    Carol and Bill Ebersole

    ReplyDelete