Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Post Op: Days 1 and 2

(Sorry for any spelling/grammar errors, I'm not exactly at my linguistic peak right now)

After seeing Rachel and talking to her at 1:30am Sunday morning, her parents and I went back to sleeping on the padded benches in a lobby. First thing in the morning we went back up to see her and she looked even better than when we saw her earlier.

And just like she set a hospital record for shortest time on the ventilator, she set another one on Sunday: fastest time walking after the transplant. I helped her and her nurses as she walked down the hallway of the ICU and back to her room. It was amazing. Less than 24 hours prior those lungs were not even completely in her, and now she's using them to help her walk around.

The day had it's challenges though, as her thirst started to get more annoying. She had not had anything to eat or drink since 9pm Friday night. Her mouth was incredibly dry and the only relief was a small sponge on a stick soaked in antiseptic water. Because of the breathing tube being in and then taken out, her doctors were concerned that her throat might not be ready for swallowing things yet. We didn't want to risk the chance of her accidentally taking some liquid down her wind pipe, since her lungs don't have a cough reflex (since the nerves were cut to transplant them) to get the liquid out.
She was also exhausted all day from the meds and overall bodily stress she's under. She slept for the most part of the day, but it wasn't very restful, as nurses were in and out all day.

Later on in the day the nurses began talking about moving Rachel out of ICU and into a regular room. By 8pm, it was a reality. After spending 28 hours in ICU, and about 35 hours after her transplant, she was in a regular room. Now, it is a high level room and everyone (including me the entire time I'm with her) has to wear gloves, a gown, and face mask. But since she was in a regular room, this meant that I got to stay with her for the night. After talking and praying together for a while, I slept in a chair beside my wife. In the weeks before the transplant I would wake up and put my hand on her back to see if she was still breathing, that's how shallow and ineffective her breathing had gotten. Last night was different though, I could clearly see her chest rise and fall and I can't put into words how incredible of a comfort that is.

Neither of us slept well that night again, as her nurses were constantly in and out. At least she was well taken care for though. The next day (yesterday) she was pretty busy. I was with her as they pulled out two more chest tubes, leaving two left in to drain the excess fluid from around her lungs. She also had a PICC line put in her arm (a tube that travels from the artery in her arm to her heart) so they could take out the IV lines in her neck. This was a huge accomplishment for Rachel, since in the past she would have to be put to sleep in order for the line to be put in, due to the pain.

Around noon a physical therapist came in and did some exercises with Rach. We then helped her go for a walk again, this time doing a full lap around the floor she's staying on. The therapist kept saying how amazed she was, and how this was remarkable for being this soon after the operation. She was also glad to find out that I was a trainer, and that all the anatomical and exercise terms made sense to me. I had no idea why I wanted to change majors to exercise science after my first year of college, but I'm pretty sure I know why now. It's funny how God grooms you for things without you knowing it. I can't wait to help Rachel continue to exercise and improve when she comes home.

Later on in the day (just after the PICC line), I went with her and her nurses for the swallow test. Because she had a ventilator tube down her airway, her epiglottis (the flap that closes your windpipe when you swallow) might not function properly. If she were to accidentally inhale (or aspirate) some liquid, she could get a very serious infection that the doctors could do little about. I watched the X-ray video of the test from behind a wall as Rachel swallowed liquids of various consistencies. She did great with applesauce, but not as well with crackers and pure liquids. This is completely normal though. In fact she did better than most people for her first test. The doctors considered the results of the test and decided to let her start eating things like pudding, applesauce, and mashed up types of foods. She can also now have ice chips to crunch on, as long as she swallows them before they melt. She is so thankful for this limited food privileges though, since her throat and mouth her so dry it was getting unbearable.

She is still on a strong pain med via epidural that is keeping at bay the next challenge in her recovery: the pain from the actual surgery. When I last saw her last night she was doing ok, but feeling a little more pain than before. Her mother stayed with her and I went back to the hotel to sleep in a bed for the first time since Thursday night. It was also the first time I've slept in the same bed as her father...or any guy for that fact. But let me tell you, I was so exhausted I could have cared less...haha.

I talked to Rachel this morning and she said that they removed another chest tube last night, leaving one more still in her. She is feeling much more pain today, and said that she "probably wouldn't be as much fun as yesterday." I don't think I should hold that against her. She did just have a lung transplant, you know.

Keep praying that she continues to recover at this lightening rate and that her pain will be minimal. Also pray for her to be able to rest more, as that's an important part of her recovery as well.

5 comments:

  1. I can't get over how amazing this has gone so far. I am tearing up at work right now! I am so happy that she has amazing people surrounding her right now. I will continue to pray for her pain to lessen.

    -Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for sharing. You are an amazing husband whom I have no doubt the Lord prepared as you shared ...We will pray for her pain, and no infection and for rest for all of you. Please share our love and concern with Karen and Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This shows what a wonderful husband you are, "I could clearly see her chest rise and fall and I can't put into words how incredible of a comfort that is." And this proves what an amazing God we have, " I had no idea why I wanted to change majors to exercise science after my first year of college, but I'm pretty sure I know why now. It's funny how God grooms you for things without you knowing it."
    I am so proud to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi jonny.. matt and i and our families have been praying for you and rachel, and are so excited and blessed to hear that He is doing such amazing things! our prayers will continue to go up for you guys, as rachel goes through the difficult healing process. we love you, and praise God for your love for Him and eachother.
    jacqueline frey

    ReplyDelete
  5. God has provided all you need! Praise the Lord, for His goodness endures forever. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete