Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Spring!


I have a few minutes before I need to start getting dinner ready so I thought I’d let you know what has been going on in the Slick nest…

March and April flew by! I was given 2 weeks of IV antibiotics for a lung infection that I didn’t even know I had. At the beginning of March I was scheduled for my 1 year bronchoscopy and one of the biopsies showed a little infection. It took a while, but my pfts bounced right back and looked better than ever! We celebrated Jonathan’s 23rd birthday at the end of April. Growing up, my mom always decorated the kitchen and living room with streamers and balloons so when we woke up the next morning, it would already look like a party! And even though Mary and I have birthdays 4 days apart, we each had a totally different set of décor! So naturally, I wanted to deck out our apartment in true Meroney Birthday style for Jonny. The night before his birthday, I told him not to come in the living room until I said so. I was climbing all over the furniture, jumping on the couch to stick streamers on the ceiling, and of course there were balloons to blow up. I saved those for last because even though I have great lungs, I’m not exactly used to blowing up balloons! But it was no big deal. I just stood there and blew up 5 of them…no problem. I couldn’t believe it. I just burst into tears. Jonathan could hear me from the other room and told me he was coming in weather I liked it or not! And he looked at the balloons and picked me up and held me. Up until April I didn’t quite feel like this whole transplant thing was really turning out to be what they said it would be. Yes, my quality of life was so drastically improved, but it was still so challenging. And that night I could really, honestly say, ”This is totally worth it.” I wish I could tell you what it felt like. To be able to physically see a change…I will never forget those 5, beautiful, green balloons.

May was exciting and full. My 3 homeschool ballet classes had their recital! They performed at The Maryland Theater which was probably more exciting for me than it was for them. All growing up Ballet and All that Jazz held their performances at the theater. And now, my own class was performing. I was so nervous that morning, but as soon as I stepped on that stage, all the nerves settled down just like they used to. All my darling little ballerinas danced their sweet hearts out. And that is another experience I will never forget.

June has been rather crazy! We are trying to figure out where we are going to live…and that is not a fun process. Jonathan has promised me a puppy and we cannot have one where we are now. So that is a big source of motivation for me! Every other week I get together with one of my dearest friends in the whole world and we day dream about Jonathan and I moving into the neighborhood she and her husband and 3 girls live in : ) But, we will see what happens!

Last week we suffered a tragic event in our family. Irwin, our first born hermit crab, died. He had moved into a shell that was way too big for him and he couldn’t really move…I kept helping him get in the water dish, get in the food dish, crawl around a little…but sadly, it did not help. After that, Woody and Peeta thought now would be a good time to make a move too, so after 6 days of musical shells (Woody changed 7 times and Peeta 2 times) Woody has settled into Peeta’s old shell, and Peeta is in Woody’s old shell. I can tell because Peeta is missing half of one of his legs…

The last event I’ll tell you about is today. I went for my 3 month check up. It was amazing. I guess I must have looked really terrible when I was sick and no one told me…because now that I’m well everyone is saying how great I look and how healthy! My coordinator Brian said I am lookin’ so good I made his day! Dr. Orens looked at my CT scan from this morning and said my lungs look “beautiful”. Everyone is happy with my 85% lung function. I even get to stop the one drug that has been giving me extremely bad problems with the sun! Hello, beach : ) I saw my CF doctor in the hall today and he was so happy to hear how well I’m doing. My CF doctors and nurses are some of the most amazing people and although I’m happy that I don’t have to see them for treatment, I miss each one of them : )

Well, I’ve got some dinner to make for my wonderful, sweetiepie husband <3

Love,
Rachel
Genesis 18:14

No comments:

Post a Comment