Friday, February 25, 2011

Bunny Trails

I’m going to apologize in advance. There seems to be a lot on my heart so I’m going to try not to get off on too many bunny trails, but no promises!

The first thing I want to say is that God has given me the most incredible husband. Everyone keeps telling me how great he is and how blessed I am to have him…believe me, I know. I cry…a lot…I just do. 99% of the times it is because I am so overwhelmed at how great my Jonathan is. I know I’ve said it before, I wouldn’t trade my life for anyone else’s because only Rachel Slick gets to be married to Jonathan Slick. I treasure that so much. And I think he is such an amazing example of what true, selfless love is. He has attached himself to me and if you ask him, he would say that we both have CF. And the most incredible thing to me is that I never asked him to do that. He wanted it. I don’t understand why, but I am so thankful. I love you my Jonnybear.

This wait is getting long. 109 days so far. I think I kind of know how it feels to be expecting a baby. There is this long time of being uncomfortable, being tired, lots of doctors, feeling excited, feeling scared, feeling everything at the same time…always knowing that there is an event that is going to eventually occur that will be awful and terrifying and dangerous…but in the end your life is going to change. God is going to bless you and He is going to do a miracle. And then, maybe things will just be quiet for a little while. I never expect that any more, but it would be nice. I guess that is kind of a funny thing to compare my situation to, but it is the closest thing I could think of. And just like any expecting mom near her due date, I can’t wait to get this all over with! I’ve always heard moms say that they just can’t wait to see their baby and hold her and get to know her. I just can’t wait to breathe a deep breath with my new lungs, and get to know what this thing called “running” is, and to find out what it is like to feel like a 23-year-old. Yes, it sounds worth it to me! And I’m sure a lot of expecting moms can relate to this too, each day can feel so long. And each day that it doesn’t happen can be disappointing. I know Jonny and I have been dealing with that a lot in these last few weeks. But this morning, God (as He always does) gave me a reminder of Himself. 2 Peter 3:8-9 “But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you…” How great is it that God is not bound by time. We always pray for my new lungs to come soon, but to God soon is not the same as our soon. I’m believing that His soon will be the perfect soon. Way better than mine. When I think God is being slow, He is not. And on top of that, He is patient with us. Even though I’m constantly whining about how I feel or that I’m sick of waiting, I can imagine Him just smiling at me and patting me on the head and saying, “You’re ok, Rachel. I’ve got it all planned.”

Another thing Jonny and I try not to struggle with (but I know I do anyway) is the idea of being a “normal” couple. I was watching HGTV (which is the best TV station in the world and every show [except Holmes on Homes] is incredible!) and it was a show about a couple who had been married for 7 months and were trying to find their first home. I stared in disbelief as they said their first 7 months had been crazy…getting married, moving in together, getting new jobs, and now buying a house. They said they just wanted to relax. I tried not to laugh at them and throw a fit at the same time. But God reminded me, again, of Himself. There is a song that we sing in church that I just love. The chorus goes “I would run for a thousand years if I knew every step would be getting me closer. I’d swim to the ocean floor for my Lord is the treasure, my Lord is the treasure.” And it’s the truth. God has made me so happy. I couldn’t ask for a better, happier life with my husband, my parents, my sister and her husband, my in-laws, my friends…this is awesome! And in the end only God is what matters. God is the treasure. Not a new house, a “normal” life, not even new lungs. It’s not about me.

To update you on my health, I’ve been holding my own. Did another 2 weeks of IV’s and that didn’t really do anything. Mom is taking me on Wednesday to Baltimore. All of my CAT scans and a heart test are out of date so I have to have to do them all again. Then we have an appointment with my transplant doctor.

Thank you for praying for us. We still need it : )

- Rachel

P.s. Here are some random pictures from the past few weeks...

   
Jonny and his Valentine's day present
Me snuggling with Blizzie

Jonny's wedding shoes and my Valentine's day present

My first sewing project...placemats!

9 comments:

  1. You guys are amazing! cant wait till ylou get your new lungs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy reading this now that you've had the transplant. Crazy-to see how it was just a week away--and by God's goodness, and sovereignty He has brought you to where you are and where you will be. You and Johnny (can I say that?) are wonderful example to so many. You couldn't have said it any better-God is the treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch your sisters YouTube channel and I have to say God is good. This shows us that he prepares us and if we just listen, learn and do what he says it will be better than anything we ever hoped for. I have some what bad lungs and I've died 3 times. But through everything I've listened to God. If you're going to listen to someone why not it be the creator of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to read about the hand of God on your life, and hope you continue to share the wonder of His grace, mercy and healing. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just watched your sisters Vlog talking about how you guys celebrate this Anniversary every year. I think its beautiful that you also honor the person who so selflessly gave this gift to you.
    God is SO wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just watched your sisters Vlog talking about how you guys celebrate this Anniversary every year. I think its beautiful that you also honor the person who so selflessly gave this gift to you.
    God is SO wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just watched your sisters Vlog talking about how you guys celebrate this Anniversary every year. I think its beautiful that you also honor the person who so selflessly gave this gift to you.
    God is SO wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found out about you from your sisters YouTube channel.. What a blessing you have received... God is good

    ReplyDelete